The Big Day

Well I suppose that I should catch up on the present before going back and chronicling all of our summer adventures.  So I don't really want to go into all the details, but I here's the brief story of Roderick's birth...

Roderick's due date was August 18, 2012, I was sure that he was going to come late and I was mentally preparing for him to come sometime the week after his due date, but he had other plans.

It was 2 a.m. on July 30, 2012 when I woke up and realized we needed to head to the hospital. I woke up Cameron and we gathered several last minute items to take with us if indeed we were going to have a baby that day. Here I am after getting checked in.


The hospital staff was amazing, the entire time I felt so calm thanks to their efficiency and demeanor while taking care of me. After getting hooked up to machines and being fully evaluated, my doctor told us that I needed to have a C-section. After another flurry of activity I was wheeled into the operating room at 5 a.m. and Roderick was born at 5:20 a.m. I got to kiss him a couple times on the head and he was taken away to be cleaned up and taken care of. Here's one of Roderick's first pictures. He weighed 6 lbs 7 oz and was 19 1/2 inches long.


After getting sewn up I was taken back to my room to recover. Cameron had been with Roderick and came in to let me know that he was in the NICU under observation because of some fluid that he had in his lungs. Because of that it wasn't until about 9:30 a.m. that I got to go see him in NICU. Cameron had been back and forth between Roderick and I and was sweet to wait and let me be the first to hold him. After being in the NICU for a few hours Roderick was released at about 2 p.m. and stayed in our room the remainder of the hospital stay.



We had a lot of wonderful friends come and visit while we were in the hospital but unfortunately we didn't get any pictures with them. Thinking back on the experience I think I was in shock most of the first week and it took me some time to realize that Roderick was actually my baby and he was here. We were extremely blessed that everything went so well and we love our little Roddy more than anything!








0 comments: